On the Islamic holiday of ‘Eid al-Fitr, FEMYSO stands by the victims of the Al-Aqsa Mosque violence, the forcefully displaced and dispossessed Palestinians in Jerusalem, and the victims of the Kabul school attack. While this should be a day of celebration and joy, Muslims around the world continue to suffer from tyrannical oppression and continuous violence in their homes.
We are deeply appalled by the violent attack on peaceful worshippers at the Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan. Worshippers in the Al-Aqsa mosque were hit by stun grenades, tear gas and rubber coated steel bullets which caused more than 250+ injuries, while immense damage was caused to Islam’s third holiest site. This violence followed a continuous process of forced displacement of Palestinians in occupied East Jerusalem by Israeli settlers, who left Palestinians without any opportunity to protect their fundamental human rights and their human dignity. During these forceful evictions, more than 840 Palestinians were injured. These are clear acts of violence irreconcilable with international law and human rights, which we firmly underline.
Unfortunately, during Ramadan we also observed the horrific murder of 68 people, of which 50 were young girls, at a bomb attack outside a school in Kabul, Afghanistan, which also left 165 injured. This reprehensible act of violence must not go unnoticed. FEMYSO extends its heartfelt condolences to all victims and their families, and its support to the medics treating the injured.
We call on the Council of Europe, the European Commission, European Parliament, the Council of the European Union and Member States to fulfil their obligations to condemn these acts of aggression and terror against civilians. The rights of the Palestinian people to keep their houses in Sheikh Jarrah, and reaffirm the rights of individuals to peacefully and freely worship at the holy site of the Al-Aqsa mosque which must be unequivoically respected and protected.
The last days of Ramadan, the most blessed time for all Muslims in the world, end in deep sadness, trauma, horror, disappointment and fear. We share these emotions and the painful suffering of millions of Muslims across the world.
Whilst praying for the victims of terror in Palestine and Afghanistan, FEMYSO wishes all Muslims around the world a safe, peaceful and blessed ‘Eid al-Fitr. We hear you, we stand by you and we pray for you.
- FEMYSO (est. 1996) is a network organisation for 33 Muslim youth and student organisations across 20 European countries, and is the leading voice for European Muslim youth, developing and empowering them, and working to build a more diverse, cohesive and vibrant Europe.
- Al Jazeera, 7 May 2021. “Scores of Palestinians hurt as Israel police storm Al Aqsa: Live.”https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/7/jerusalem-dozens-of-palestinians-hurt-in-al-aqsa-clashes
- Amnesty International, 10 May 2021. “Israel/ OPT: End brutal repression of Palestinians protesting forced displacement in occupied East Jerusalem” https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2021/05/israel-opt-end-brutal-repression-of-palestinians-protesting-forced-displacement-in-occupied-east-jerusalem/
- Reuters, 9 May 2021. “At least 68 killed in Afghan school blast, families bury victims” https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/afghan-school-blast-toll-rises-58-families-bury-victims-2021-05-09/
- For more information or requests please email email@example.com